Brilliant Idea... Forever Lost?

Can anyone else relate to this?

A couple weeks ago I had an amazing idea right before falling asleep. My half conscious brain jotted down two words in my GM Journal. To this day, that page remains empty as I CANNOT remember what the idea was about!!

Please tell me I’m not the only one this happens to?!?!

Nope happens to me all the time!

Same here. Have thought up some revolutionary mechanics in that state. Next morning . Gone.

Remember that it’s also likely that an idea which seems brilliant to you while you’re half asleep turns out to be a du in the full light of consciousness. Don’t be too hard on yourself; ideas are like buses - another one will come around.

@The_Merlitron Lol! A very wise observation!

I’m curious what other people have jotted down and then forgotten?

For me, it’s mostly jotting something down then returning to it later and realizing I’ve lost the ahhhhaaa moment.

A shadow that attacks it’s owner

A shadow daemon that jumps from host to host

A shadow that can only be banished by light and can only be damaged by magic damage

A shadow that goes over a town that grows and grows and grows like a vine.

Sadly, @OldBen, my friend, you aren’t the only one. I have a note on my desk at work that simply says, “consecutive.” Months later, I have NO IDEA why I wrote it. If it ever comes to me, it will be a miracle.

All I can say is, this is a distinguished club we are in.

I have a note on my phone that just says “Hatchet”.

I’m a cook and I forget what I walked into the walk in for In the time it takes me to walk there from the front line. So I wouldn’t feel too bad about that lol

“Owl with folded wings and many lenses for a head. Staff topper?”

Found this saved as a note on my phone. Am assuming it came from a dream but I have zero recollection of its origin.

Thanks to everyone who’s shared their forgotten ideas! These are great!

Throw it into OpenAI and let it come up with something :sunglasses:

I used the following prompt:

An idea for a dungeons and dragons campaign titled “Bad Shadow”:

And it spat out:

The PCs find themselves in a dark and dreary dungeon, beset on all sides by strange and dangerous creatures. They must find their way through the maze-like dungeon, avoiding traps and solving puzzles, while fighting off the never-ending stream of creatures that seem to be drawn to the darkness.

As they progress, they begin to realize that there is something more to this dungeon than meets the eye. They find themselves being followed by a strange, dark shadow that seems to be feeding off of their fear. This shadow seems to be the source of the creatures in the dungeon, and the PCs must find a way to destroy it before it consumes them completely.

The twist is that the shadow is actually a manifestation of the PCs’ own fears and doubts, and it is only by facing their fears head-on that they can hope to destroy it. They must overcome their own personal demons in order to triumph in this dark and dangerous place.

Oh dang! That’s really cool! Thanks!

How does a Shadow turn Bad? :smile:

Magic, obvs.:stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps Peter Pan’s shadow left him to become a Warlock…

Maybe that’s the temporal evidence, what about spatial? Maybe the Shafow went to a bad place?