Birth of a Silent Hunter

inspiration

Crouched atop ancient stones holding vigil, staunch against memories fade, a single red eyed raven bore silent witness to her birth. Unblinking, unflinching, unwavering witness to the horror of her glory.

Clad in a misting blackness with skin of shaded moonlight, she walked on velvet, her head covered in cowl of deadly red. She emerged from the glistening pool of emerald, each step graceful in power, her cape shimmering silently about her figure, her horns curving in a vicious helix, her mouth slobbering rabidly… Her body wet and dripping with the after-birth of a long forgotten species.

Pausing at pools edge she shook herself ferociously, showering ground, stones and raven with a vile torrent. Shocked, the raven rose screaming, and took to wings of night. She snarled with teeth bared as she watched him go. His cry would wake the dead. She smiled grimly, relishing the thought that even in death they were not safe from her devouring mind.

Dropping to all fours she arched her back, and muttered a dark word. The silent shimmering cape folded down around her body, wrapping tightly to her figure, flowing about every curve, clinging and transforming them both into a new shape… a giant black cat with eyes of shifting colors ever-changing.

Shaking itself once more, the cat paused to listen, ears twisting this way and that. Suddenly it leapt atop the stones, dashed across them with a bound, and vanished into the gloaming silent night.

This is the opener for a short story I began earlier this year and then laid aside. It occurred to me this might be some thematic inspiration for a character design or a Villain, Monster, Hero, Artwork, or Something Else! I’m interested to see what you think and if it actually inspires anyone.

Any feedback, and criticism is welcome. Thank you.

Wonderful imagery! For me it provokes a dark and sinister style more fitting of a villain or monster.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

@Nickster Loved it.
Sorry if this is in any way a faux pas, but I was inspired to write a response in the spirit of collaboration. I certainly don’t know anything about the story you’re dreaming of. But you got me thinking about this creature you’re describing.

Morningayne stooped to feel the print embedded in the thick muck which crusted and cracked under the dry sun’s gaze. Definitely made by a great cat. A good thing too, for he knew that no felidae roamed this region.

That meant he was on the right path. The baleful creature had come this way.

He pulled on his canteen, more wine than water, and adjusted his wide-brimmed leather hat to ward the shining glare from above. As he did so, he heard the harsh laughter of a trio of ravens which perched on the branch of a stout bog oak. His eyes narrowed. They mocked his youthful conviction, trapped as it was in an old man’s body. So much time had passed on this hunt. It showed in his frayed hair the color of mercury, and the uncertain skein carved into the lines of his palms.

_ He renewed his vow to put an end to the wrongness which had torn into this world. Born from some malevolent womb beyond the moon and between stars. . A place concealed inside a rotting umbilicus which it had scrabbled out of, but was once tethered to. Now it had hacked away at its leash in perfect hatred of even the place from which spawned it. Morningayne would vanquish it, he promised himself._

If it was even possible.

His throat was suddenly dry, and he pulled aggressively from his canteen, coughing as he swallowed the potent liquid. He wiped the backwash onto his dirty gauntlet, and felt a twisted knot of pain in his lower abdomen. He noticed he had coughed up a bit of blood, and swooned for a moment- the dullness of the intoxicant being cut by his own primal fear. Hadn’t the old witch said something of this moment in her mad ravings? The print of disquiet’s disguise? Three ravens above the dry bog? A reminder of fading health from a long-held vice?

He stumbled to his feet, feeling invigorated as he saw another print. His hand absently brushed Elucidator’s hilt for comfort, and he set off across the bog at an even lope; chasing an apparition.

Wow! thanks!! This is great… I love that you’re continuing the story, introducing new characters, and bringing the world to life! I have only the edges of this story fleshed out, it still needs a skeleton and organs. I want to know more… what are the 3 ravens. Who was the witch… and why has he been hunting Her for so long? Also… I want to know more about Elucidator. Thanks for adding to the story! We should keep adding to it.

Thanks mang! I have no idea who or what any of those things are, or why he’s been chasing her for so long.

I agree, lets continue it! Nothing says discovery like collaborative art. Boom!

So I think your turn is next. :smiley:

OK! We’ll see what I come up with. Might have to go on a dream adventure and explore a song line before I find out what happens next.

I eagerly await the next piece :smiley: :smiley: