Beer Recommendations?

Ok y’all, as a recent experimenter on the beer scene, I’m still green and in need of wisdom! Any beer recommendations for a newbie on a relatively modest budget? Strength honor and, well, you know!

Many stores will have sales on a variety of beers. You usually get the most bang for you buck on a twelve-pack. It helps to know what kind of beer you like. Pale? Dark? Brown? White? That way you can pick out a kind in that category that’s on sale. You can also ask the store clerks for recommendations. Sometimes you can find a variety pack on sale. Brands I like include Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Leinenkugels, Blue Moon, Shock Top, and Boston Lager.

I personally enjoy Newcastle. I can’t speak to the budget side of things because I ignore that part when it comes to beer. Put back the two king sized bags of Doritos and get the six pack of Newcastle bottles! :slight_smile:

That’s some interesting hedonistic calculus you’re running there!

I suggest finding a local brewery’s tap room and trying one of each (probably not all in the same day though)! They will usually have a variety of styles and you can start to figure out if you’re an IPA dude or a Stout guy or maybe you like a nice scotch ale? This will typically be a lot cheaper than buying stuff in the store too and you’ll be supporting local brewers, so that’s cool.

Or you can skip the beer all together and go straight to the Single Malt Scotch! :wink:

Start by trying a mass consumer beer like anything from Samuel Adams to get an idea of what style of beer tastes good to you. Then branch out from there by trying other brands and local breweries with similar styles.

My beer drinking is seasonal in nature. I drink stouts and porters in the winter, and lagers and pilseners in the summer. Ales are kind of an all year long beer for me. :beer:

Definitely going to follow this thread! Fairly new myself. I’ve tried a few dark ales, and haven’t found one I like yet. I’m really liking a lot that Boulevard puts out (more on the pale side so far). I recently went down to the local grocery store and got a 'mix ‘n match’ 6 pack to try a few different seasonal beers. I’ve found this to be a super fun way to try out lots of different kinds at once. Happy hunting!

That’s the best way to go about it. Just sample and try what you find interesting. Everyone’s taste and preference is their subjective own. You’ll never know what you like until you try it. And trying different beers is a whole lotta fun! :sunglasses:

Just remember, “You can never buy beer, you just rent it.”

Oh, hey I forgot about Boulevard. Have you tried Tank 7? That’s one of my favorites. Somewhere between pale and white.

@Andreas I’ll give 'er a go in the near future. Thanks!

i like “Not Your Dads RootBeer” lol. beer is in the title.

in not a big beer fan. but this gets me nice and tipsy.

I’m a big fan of stouts and porters during the winter time. Some of my favorites have been the stouts or porters with nitrogen (nitro) as they are super drinkable. I’m so tired of IPAs (Indian Pale Ale). I’m good for one maybe two of them at a sitting and then I’m done. Now, I’ve grown a recent taster for sours. They go down great in the summer time. Find yourself a good store that has employees that are knowledgeable. Good luck.

My unfulfilled dream is a table full of gaming friends playing DnD (ICRPG) drinking beer out of horned mugs, leather mugs, pewter steins or wood crafted tankards.

I live in the Great Northwest where we have some amazing breweries. My best friend is owns a brewery in my home town Poulsbo WA where the population is 10k and there are 6 breweries. I do not like a hoppy beer. Iron Horse Brewery has one of my favorites called Irish Death. Anything Sour too. Fat Tire is a go to as well as good ol Alaskan Amber.

Sköl

I get whatever is on sale (Publix will often have BOGO free 6 packs of decent beer). The best part is I don’t feel bad about trying new beers.

Also I recommend finding a local bar with a bunch of different kinds on tap. The samplers are a great way to figure out what categories are your favorite.

I’m with @SadSkeletor. Look for breweries local to you. You’ll likely get the chance to meet the folks that brew it. You’ll wind up with new friends and maybe a new hobby (homebrewing!).

SInce this thread is already on the subject of beers, anyone here had one of these Canadian Spruce Beers???

It looks like a Zima, and not that I’m worried about scurvy, but I’d REALLY like to try one. :slight_smile: