BEAR WARS - a World Primer

ezzerharden
bear-wars
world-primer

BEAR WARS, a world primer

(Updated Document as of 9-18-2019)

INTRODUCTION

This project was sparked by the sketchbook of Richard Whitters, Art Director, Wizards of the Coast.

His bear fighters sketch would not stop resonating with me. Within the first few days of seeing the sketch, I had written 10 pages of notes about them.

HUMANS are the bad guys, and everyone else is a BEAR; living in a magic blasted land of BEAST tribes led by MEN; on a struggling burned out fantasy world of war named SALT.

What you hold in your hands is the work of months of review, rewrite, and playtest. My hope is I have done justice to the great piece of fantasy art that it is. Now grab some crystals, your favorite dice, a handful of friends and … Game On!

WORLD SUMMARY

On the world of SALT, a world war between BEARS and MEN is set in a desolate wasteland blasted by magical warfare. The BEARS have traveled from UMBRA to escape one war, only to find another on KINGSLAND. It is littered with crashed war machines, fallen titans, destroyed land ships, broken air wings, dead behemoths, fallen castle ruins, and burned out towns; all brought down by MEN during the last century of magical conflicts known as THE MAGIC WARS.

KINGSLAND is the BEARS new home, but this new world is also home to MEN and BEASTS. The SPIRES are enormous narrow mesa’s cracked by earthquakes and wild magic. Within those cracks, living in dimly lit caves, live the BEASTS. Primitive humans, devolved from the form of MEN. The BEASTS live in the spires. MEN live at the top of the SPIRES, in cavernous halls of blasted stone and blackwood.

The BEARS have just discovered MAGIC. MEN mastered it long ago. BEARS have great mental powers called PSI. MEN do not and fear its power over the mind. Swords are called BLADES, and Spears called SPIKES.
The BLACK KING rules KINGSLAND. There is only one thing he fears more than power of the BEAR, the DARK ONE.

Included in the world primer are Bear BioForms, Bear Clan Weapons, Keywords as Class Abilities, Special Rules like Eraser & Pencil, Psionics (PSI), Focus points, Rule of Salt, and a few more new ideas.

ETERNUM a magical ore used to empower spells. PSI Crystals add focus to psionic powers. PSI FX allow the caster to manipulate psionic powers on the fly.

SALT, a brief history and description of the world and its dangers.

A description on the Knights of Salt. Including player and GM questions and answers. Along with a list of GM secrets.

The adventure section is waiting to be filled in and should be added very soon…

Enjoy my labor of love inspired by Richard Whitters outstanding sketch! … Game On!
BEAR WARS, a world primer

For more of Ezzerhardens Incomplete Collection, follow me on my blog. ezzerharden.wordpress.com

I was sold on “HUMANS are the bad guys, and everyone else is a BEAR”

Wait till your read the GM Secrets at the end of the doc!

-insert evil GM laugh here-

… Game On!

This looks great @Ezzerharden! :herocoin:

For me, I was sold because it reminds me of the Planet of the Apes trilogy (which is my favorite movie trilogy). You know you have something good in front of you when ideas spark immediately.

has this seen table time yet?

3 Games working on a 4th… lots learned and a few changes in the works…Still needs monsters to be fleshed out and the adventure to be added.

Great concept and setting!

Man i love your settings. Nice work.
Question: seems to be some problem with the font. Looks like russian in the PDF, or must be the just the Reader App

Very cool Victor, very cool.

I upload another version with the font embedded. This should solve your prob’s… thanks for the feedback! … Game On!

I really want to play this at our upcoming Southwest Shields Meetup :shield::crossed_swords::shield:

Definitely… most definitely… I have a good start on an adventure that I played a month or so ago… the Black King and his guard are on the hunt for a young panda cub foretold in a prophecy to be the “Gryphon Caller.” the players find the cub in the snow, hiding in the remains of a bloody fight between BEASTS and BEARS. … the last game was EPIC! …

I cant wait for Nov 30th! … Game On!

Thank you so much, man!!

happy to see this evolution!