Attribute/Effort bonuses on Weapons

question
loot
rules
items

Hello Wall!

I tried searching the forums for an answer to this, but couldn’t find much.

I noticed that in Core, weapons found in the starting list, as well as those found in the loot tables, feature tags and other ability enablers, but no +X to attribute or effort (that I could find). Does this mean that it is unadvisable (assuming one wishes to adhere to the ethos of the system as intended) to allow weapons to carry bonuses to attributes or effort?

I could see, for example, a katana that, maybe by virtue of having been forged by a master blacksmith, could carry a +1 to Weapon effort. Or maybe a hunting rifle with a built in scope that could grant +2 Dex while aiming.

I do understand that there should be no hard and fast answer besides the fact that I could choose to include these in my games if I should wish to, but I was wondering if there was a design reason why these kinds of items aren’t featured more prominently, or at all!

Note: I did find such an item as part of a Milestone reward, but this is to be expected, as such rewards should be elevated above regular loot. I 'm referring to more run of the mill stuff.

Loot table community Project!

Oh, I think it’s a mixed message.

None of the weapons are loot, they are equipment…but loot can have any bonuses, subtractions and tags you want.

Just be clear if it is magic or not…in case you have only damaged by fire or magic attacks. Also a magic sword would allow the weirder typically to roll d8 magic effort or D6 tool effort, up to the player, (and not roll both).

Just understand that according to the ethos of the game, if the character has katana “equipped” he is getting that weapon bonus while using a bow, or shotgun.

So because of that, it is better for the characters to have loot that has multiple functions since you can only equip 10 items…

So in certain ways your +1 weapon effort katana is much better than the +2 to dex when aiming scope…it is a weapon, and it’s granting a bonus to all weapons, but the scope is granting the bonus dex while I use my pistol and have the rifle across my back if it is loot.

If equipment it’s use gives a easy attack roll while aiming with the scope, and make hard rolls normal for visual perception of far targets when looking through the scope. ( and all of that you can do with tag like spotting scope, delicate, noticeable)

Let me know if that is convoluted, typing on phone and not rereading.

Thank you for taking the time to respond @Paxx !!

You’ve made a wonderful point regarding weaponry as a category, and how a +1 on a weapon could be granting that bonus to other elements that don’t deserve it. What if the weapon in question includes the necessary clarification, as in “+1 to Weapon Effort when using this weapon to attack”, would it then work?

To be completely fair, I’m trying to determine how viable it’d be to import item lists from other d20 games, which may include weapons with +attribute bonuses in greater volume than ICRPG native lists, with minimal effort :rofl::rofl:

Disclaimer Totally your game your rules, I’m just conversing over an imaginary beer I wish I had in my hands right now and we are across a table.

Oh, don’t import typical equipment lists. It’s not needed. Make additional d12 or d20 loot tables to fit your game world by mixing and matching.
@Shadymutha has found some great generic loot tables and made a few great ones!!!

I’d post here, but it really is his awesomeness.

Loot does not need to give bonuses in weapons unless really is needed, a sword is a sword, the sword you know the balance of and the exact angle and reach it has is better for you than a new sword every time…until you practice with it for a few hundred hours.

Bonuses should be in rings, candles, chalk, amulets, ear rings, Arrow heads, flasks, shovels, keys, hats, lockers, gloves…

I know there are a few on here already, but a cool Covid inspired series of loot tables might be a great community project…

I honestly don’t mind any advice coming from you, or from the Wall! And I’m taking that advice to heart! Thanks!

Ok I know I haven’t been on the community for that long, but I was on the old Google+ community and I don’t remember that Loot items that provide + to EFFORT once equipped provided that bonus to all equipped items. I need to see that in the rules or on the site somewhere.

It’s late and my logical brain is vying for control with my sleepy time brain.

The short answer @Axiomaric is “YES!” You can absolutely have weapons with Attempt and Effort bonuses!!!

Look at Number 32 on the Epic Loot Table. Fire Blade. It has +3 Attempts/Effort.

Look at Number 9 on the Ancient Loot Table. Silver Sword. It has +1 Effort.

By all means, have all kinds of weapons with Effort and Attempt bonuses. My recommendation would be bonuses between +1 and +4, just like a lot of other D20 games, reserving those higher bonuses for more Epic Tier characters.

Good call!!!

My example was crud. But it is actually sound. Just instead of Katana and bow it should have been Katana and pistol. But the bow works if your bioforms has 4 arms.

Both equipped, you are getting those bonuses unless it says otherwise.

Getting in the weeds here
This is an exception rule set. (Same as D&D 3ed through 5E, not the same as D&D 1st edition) as such, main rules are always followed except when a power, spell, maneuver, makes an exception to the rules.

Anyway, at its base you can carry 20 pieces of equipment, 10 can be equipped.

But with weapons, you can argue that if not in use for that attack, not equipped. And because of the silliness factor I would side with that. But there is no rule saying otherwise.

Gun in holster is in use, even if I’m trying to seduce you.
Gold Plated Desert Eagle .50cal +5 charisma in close range combat or Texas backyard Barbecues

It’s not a big issue and as with all things your table your rules…and follow @Alex on all things ICRPG he has the mastery hours dedicated to it. Even if his default answer is along the lines of “if it seems cool to you, do it!!!”

It is a very good call, I’m an ass that asks for effort on some perception rolls. Not really mentioned in the rules one way or another (Latest pdf might???)

But ICRPG is minimalist in what it actually says, and we assume it works a certain way, but it leaves much up to the reader. And that is a great thing!!!

Gear and loot give you bonuses, if equipped. What is equipped? And a weapon being used makes sense, and is probably the default. I’m too much in my head too often.

Next month I’ll have more time to dedicate.

In the right moment in the fiction, that would be a great way to skin it. Gotta piece those clues together.

If it seems cool to you, do it!!! :smirk:

Wohwohwoh, did you just say equipment is NOT loot? Do you mean to tell me when it says “choose 3 starting equipments” that those shouldn’t take up Gear slots??

Not sure what I said, I was probably wrong, I usually am.

But Loot, by the book is
Food
Gear
Spells and powers

But my car in a moderns game or my horse in a Wild West game is not on my 20 items of gear list. Unless it’s all tricked out and relevant. Your house won’t be in there affecting your limits, letter from your kidnapped love would not need to be on there.

The McGuffen might, depending on story.

My jacket and shoes probably are not, unless they have bonuses, or Grant special abilities.

So I guess gear should be anything that grants your character special abilities that a normal person in that world would not have normally.

Smartphone today is ubiquitous, but not if my story takes place 20 years ago. So suddenly many cell phone capabilities become gear. (Flashlight, camera, camcorder, computer, internet connection??, music player??, video conferencing system) can all become loot in a 2000 campaign. But in a 2020 campaign I wouldn’t count their phones as loot, or even burner phones as loot vs the total.

You can and in many cases should depending on the nature of your campaign.
You can also take consumables and package them as 5 per slot or 3 per slot. Or 20 per slot in the case of ammo.

But is your backpack loot?