An optional rule for blood magic

homebrew
magic

Hello Wall.

I’m creating a setting where Aztec-like blood rituals are a thing. Therefore I devised the following blood magic casting option:

• the system is a variation over the advanced magic rules from ICRPG master edition.
  • STUN POINTS are not used.
  • spell cost is defined as SPELL-LEVEL + SPELL-POWER (low level spells are less costly to cast, and we keep a 2 to 8 cost scale).
  • the mana cost of a spell equals the spell cost (2 to 8)
  • the caster can channel one point of mana per round during his turn, so the casting time equals the mana cost.
  • the spell fails if interrupted.
  • the caster can sacrifice its own blood to gain mana (1 HP = 1 mana).
  • minimal casting time is one turn.
  • therefore, a cost 3 spell could be casted in one turn by spending two HP (two mana through blood, one mana through chanelling one turn).
  • caster can mix blood sacrifice and casting time as he see fit.

The basis of the system is: cast as much as you want; pay the price either with time or with blood.

Some loot could help blood magic, such as THE MASTER’S SKULL (page 42), or an OBSIDIAN SACRIFICIAL DAGGER that allows the caster to use someone else blood to fuel his magic (usually by stabbing the victim to death, no consent required…).

Do you think it’s workable?

I don’t know quite what to make of this. At my table, arcane spellcasters pay casting costs from from 1 to 16 in actual hit points (not stun points) as a matter of course to streamline the game and add a tactical dimension to it. (The scale I use is multiplicative—Level x POWER—not additive.)

So sure, it can work (depending upon your table) if you just want to layer violent sourcing of arcane energies on top of this foundation and allow PCs to kill other characters and creatures for their blood.

You should prepare for things to get murder hobo-y though.

At first, I considered a multiplicative scale, but It seemed a bit too harsh on the spellcasters for a pulp setting. I favor fast engagements, so anything that linger for more than six rounds should trigger a retreat from one of the belligerents.

How does 16 points spells works at you table?

As for the murder hobo, that’s exactly the reputation of the blood magic practitioners in my setting, so it’s fitting. I intend to reward murder with a corruption score, with consequences. I didn’t put much though into that idea for now because my setting is a work in progress.

My blood magic (INT based) system will essentially grant infernal magic spells, reskinned to a mesoamerican theme.

In my setting, aztec high-priests are more lich-like than living, and that’s what I mean by corruption. Power at a cost, and immortality as a prize.

note: my other magic system (WIS based) is based on shamanism and negotiating with spirits. Work in progress…

Perfectly. :sunglasses:

I mean, with a 10 points HP heart, you need a kind of trick to cast a 16 points spell. I’m curious.

Heart Stone [Ancient Loot #30 and #63, Epic Loot #1]

Some GMs rule that a caster should have access to multiple spells of a given level before spells of the next level are “unlocked,” which also limits the frequency of big hit casts over one heart in cost. I generally rule that to get off a clutch spell a caster can drop to exactly 0 HP by casting and fall into a stable but indefinitely unconscious comatose state, but I typically curb dipping into negative HP voluntarily through casting costs. If you were to allow casters to pay the “ultimate cost” for a cast and go to a dying state, I’d suggest you deduct the number of hit points they go negative from their dying timer rolls, just to put a reasonable cap on this extraordinary option.