Altered State

Gang, the Altered State QuickStart rules and VTT asset package dropped on Patreon for patrons today. If you’d like to get your hands on the QuickStart rules, please consider supporting the Runehammer Patreon. Just $1 gets you all of the amazing assets and content — not just Altered State. That being said, the final ruleset and Hank’s choose-your-own adventure book, Retune, which is set in the Altered State universe, both drop early next year!

Thanks @Alex and @Runehammer, and any other contributors for putting this together so quickly! Super excited to dive in and preview the journey your brilliant minds are leading us on!

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! [Plays his electronic banjo]

Dude this is just great. Can’t wait for the full release.

Just had a good read through. Delicious.

Question: The weapon systems deal more damage here than other settings. What stats would you recommend for different levels of enemies?

We’re still in playtesting, but against 3 brand new characters, the majority of enemies do a dice category less and have no bonuses to hit. I’m throwing three to five enemies at a time against my group of 3. Hopefully that gives you a sense for adjusting the difficulty tuners. Of course, that is against starting characters with no loot or milestones beyond their starting gear.

Also, the enemies have between one to two hearts, with bosses having three right now.

The feel has been very cinematic, with these characters playing like badasses. I still had no trouble wearing them down, and I haven’t taken the target above 12.

May I join you on my keytar?!? haha

Have a swig o this homebrew soy-shine and join up!

@Alex, only just now getting around to downloading a copy of the quickstart guide and man, is this thing awesome! During my breaks at work I kept bringing the PDF up on my phone and reading as much as I could before going back to work, even if it was just one page.

While I probably wont run a “proper” Altered State game in the near term, I will borrow several of the ideas to incorporate into my homebrew game, especially the guns and ammo types. Exactly the kind of feel I was looking for to run a gritty and thrilling action game. I started to lean more into cyberpunk sources when both of my PCs told me they wanted to be Mechas. I can’t believe its taken me this long to dip into cyberpunk.

Thanks to you and the whole team for putting this together! Can’t wait to see the release of the final ruleset!
:metal:

Wow @Moose! Thanks for such a thoughtful post. It made my day, and I’m super glad you are enjoying the ruleset. It really is the way I’ve always dreamed of playing and running cyberpunk.

I can’t take credit for the guns idea, though. I adopted the way Hank used guns in Bearcats, so if you haven’t checked out that supplement yet, you may find it helpful for your game. Think Red Dawn meets War of Worlds or V — also a gritty near future setting. Having cool guns with different mechanics is so much fun, and Bearcats paved the way for me to come up with cyberpunk versions.

In any event, thanks again. The reception from the community has been very positive, which really fuels me to continue to create.

I’m glad I could brighten your day!

The guns aren’t the only thing I’ll draw inspiration from but just a really cool facet of the genre I’ve been thinking about a lot. The cybernetics, the tags, the surge and rage dice! It all is super cool! Gives me plenty of ideas on how to upgrade loot and my PCs themselves.

Thanks for the heads up on Bearcats. I’ll check it out for sure. Need to pace myself with all this new reading material and somehow convince my friends to play more often…

:metal:t4: