Altered State/Warpshell HUD's I made for Owlbear Rodeo

vtt

Inspired by @s5photog over in this thread Warpshell / Sci Fi VTT Splash Page

I made these semi transparent “HUD” images for my Altered State game. We play on Owlbear Rodeo so I throw up a splash page and then can have these loaded up in my token files. I can place the player tokens on them, but the HUD is transparent so they can still see the background art. There are Green, Yellow, and Red to represent the danger level of the area. Please feel free to use them!

If you use Owlbear Rodeo, when you upload them change the setting of the token to the Vehicles/Mounts category and the default size to be at least 25. That way you can scale them to as big as you need, and any tokens placed on top of them stick when you move the frame around.

Enjoy! And thanks again to @s5photog for the original idea/art.

VERY cool!

I love the use of zone combat boxes

Thanks! Now that I look at them I may take out the labels so that I can write in specific room/zone labels.

I have to see how it goes next session though.

That is pretty slick… diggin’ the zones!

Is it possible to ask you for a HUD myself? I’d like something along the lines of Professor Dungeon Master’s Ultimate Dungeon Terrain, with a spot for the Timer die, the Escalation die, and the Target die. And maybe a spot for a Whatever Stat, and that’s it!

I mostly run sci-fi or fantasy, and I’m willing to pay you, if you’re interested! Thank you! :heart:

@BlazingPolyhedron I would be happy to try and help out but I am not actually much of an artist. This is all made using simple techniques from other pieces of art I found around the internet using GIMP. I didn’t actually draw anything here.

If you have more specific details I MIGHT be able to do it. Send me a private message if you like.

For sure! Thank you very much! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

I love the look of these, but having a hard time getting my brain to see how they work.

CLOSE, NEAR, FAR are relative between any two tokens on table. This presentation locks in some positioning that makes more questions than it answers for my brain.

If they were graphically spread in a line across the encounter zone like:

C.C.———N.————N.—————F.

Certainly one of the NEAR tokens could be NEAR the FAR token. And the other NEAR could be NEAR the two CLOSE tokens and the other NEAR, but actually FAR from the FAR token. But I could not suss that from the presentation in this style.

Your later post about leaving space for named Zones would make more sense for me. I usually go for “one index card is one Zone (Full sized sheets of paper may be two) and Near every other zone/card it touches. If the cards don’t touch, those zones are Far.

Thinking about them further I think you are absolutely right. My original idea was based on Professor Dungeon Masters Ultimate Dungeon Terrain where everything is either

• You are in the room where the main action is (center/Close)

• You are nearby that area (Second ring/Near)

• You are somewhere else in the dungeon/area (Outer ring/Far)

I combined that with the distances mentioned in ICRPG 2e/Altered State. With that in mind, if you used these to represent one specific room it would work fine. Players in the close box are within melee range of each other. The Near box is within 20-30 feet of that group in close. And anyone in the far box is off in the distance somewhere (but still in the same room/zone if it is big enough)

Maybe what I can do is add a section to these that has a room name label. That way if the party is split between different rooms/zones that are significantly far apart you can put down two of these (or 3 or whatever). That way the Close, Near, and Far applies to the specific zone for the sake of combat/NPC interaction only.

For example, your Decker player is in the mainframe room hacking the computers to grab the data for the job you are on. You set up a Yellow zone HUD for that player on the screen. Meanwhile the rest of the party are in the hallway outside fending off security drones. They are all placed on a different Red HUD on the screen. Each HUD being a different Zone means that moving between them takes a full move action.

PDM’s method is also relative (I’ve been re-watching his videos) to the PCs.

The idea of an overlay for VTTs like Owlbear is awesome though and thanks for sharing the work.

No problem! It works great with Runehammer VTT as well. Check it out if you haven’t already, it’s free to use by everyone now!