Advice Wanted: Running City Adventures

Every player has their thing.

Important NPCs. The underground, the thieves, the power players, how does the city rule itself. 10 real NPCs, but knowledge of the inner working of how power flows. You may need to name more, but they aren’t your story…

Probably 2 NPC merchant types, one an Everyman merchant and one a merchant prince type.

2 or three under belly types

A normal person in the town. Someone who is easy to relate to. A bar keep who doesn’t own the restaurant he works for, type person.

A couple of corrupt but effective city function runners (captain of the guard, major priest, Nobel of a district, type people)

The madam of a bordello.

The NPCs for your adventure are separate. Those are like any adventure.

The ruler of the city you need to know but not flesh out.

The players simply need to be over whelmed with options and follow your bread crumbs…make the people human.

The corrupt are corrupt, but it’s to keep the peace, not enrich themselves per say. It’s the smoother way to look the other way at times, the money just lets you know when that’s best. Who gives it and how, what the rumors are afterwards. Tells you more of the goings on…and gets less subordinates killed.

The evil should still stand out from the distasteful and should be revealed only after the players start to go after one of your false flags.

To be extra sneaky have it be someone mentioned and introduced early, but without enough context to judge anything. If the players are staying in the city a long time…split the city and do districts.

But I’ve run most of my games in cities so some things I forget how I started doing theM.

What a great opportunity! Urban adventures rock hard.

I don’t bother making city maps or anything like that, I only make bullet points about why the city is important, what sensory elements will the characters encounter, etc. Mapping can constrain your city, so leaving it more or less blank will let you and the players fill it in on the fly.

As far as story goes, when I run an urban story arc I think about the major figures in that story and immediately begin to create smaller stories that stem from the motivations of the main one. Now that those stories orbit one another, I make lists of facts from easily accessible to very difficult to ascertain for players to gather. Through those lists of info they should be able to put together the stories and how each seemingly separate part is connected somehow. Using the lists also makes sure you’re following a logical flow because there’s nothing worse than running some kind of “reveal” story where the dots don’t connect.

After all the info is laid out and ready for players to collect, I plan important scenes that reveal hooks and leads for players to get involved in the next part of the action. You can create small, cinematic little pieces that you can “drag & drop” when it’s appropriate. All of a sudden you’ve got a competent narrative sandbox players can pursue in any order they choose and you can hand out relative info/scenes according to how they progress through the story. Boom! :smiley:

If I had to say you should prep something before players get to town it’s: prep a pub/tavern, prep an inn, and maybe an important site or two. Most players want to get rowdy and have a rest to recover their abilities, then the important site will give them something to remember the city by, “Hey, isn’t that the place with the gryphon hatchery? Those aerial races were incredible.”

Here are a couple quick pictures I took of a story I prepped about a Beast sighting in a small village. All 3 stories were taking place and being explored at the same time, which led to some very satisfying twists and turns for players.

Wow! You guys have some really good ideas.

I haven’t run many adventures in cities myself, but I can point you to a couple of resources that might help for that sort of thing.

@GmGrizzly has a PDF on City stuff here DriveThruRPG Link

And then The Alexandrian has a series on investigative type encounter design which I think fits what you are going for pretty well. Here is the first of the series.

I find it easier to improv NPCs by answering 4 questions on the fly:

1-What are they interested in?
2-How do they ask/demand what they want?
3-How do they respond to requests?
4-How do they respond to threats?

Players rarely interact deeper with NPCs than that. An interesting experiment I hope to run is to use two decks of Pathfinder Campaign Cards: Social Combat Deck shuffled together to help answer questions 2 thru 4. Two decks, because that gives a chance that a character might have a similar response to two questions.

I have that! I only skimmed it when I bought it, because I hadn’t anticipated needing it just yet! Thanks for the reminder.

Great link. Will read my morning coffee. Have a hero coin, and my thanks!

This is great @Chaologic ! Thank you for sharing these outlines. They are a really good example of minimal prep for maximum payoff.

Superb questions! Thanks for sharing.

Hero coins for everyone! :herocoin: Thanks for sharing your suggestions and resources. Y’all are a boon to the role playing community! :metal:

There is a pdf based on Thieves World and the City Sanctuary. the city and persona are all fleshed out in detail. You can check it out here It’s probably the most detailed city developed for a D20 system I have ever seen.

Inspiration: Ever seen the 1979 classic movie called 'The Warriors"? A mega-gang meet up goes bad, and the gang called “Warriors” gets blamed for something they didn’t do. Stuck on the far side of New York City, they are hunted through rival gangs turf as they try and make it back home. It’s a long night as in the shady underbelly of the Big Apple!

Fun Mechanic: For extremely dense urban environments, make a mechanic called “the Crowd” and treat it like a roaring river. If they get caught going trying to walk against the crowd or the wrong way, they get swept away by the mass of bodies.

I loved Rick Moranis in that! :grinning: I love the Crowd mechanic. Very good suggestion!

I found this article that may help you about building cities. It even uses concepts like chunks
https://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=418
It can go well with grizzly’s Civilizations

Thanks!

Here’s another city/town building framework I found tucked away in my notes:

Good advice.

As a starting point to not feel overwhelmed a map might help visualize concepts.

Is a decent starting point.

A group of my players are also heading towards a city so I will be hanging around to see how this shakes out. I’m already seeing tons of great advice. If someone hasn’t pointed it out yet there is a city being built here on the site which might cut down on a lot of that work for you; Do you wanna build a snowman? Or... a city instead then?

Glad you like the crowd mechanic! I love being able to present non-lethal mechanics to cleanse the palette between deadly encouters.

My favorite variant of the CROWD mechanic is the CONTAGIOUS VIBES mechanic I created. Ever been to a concert where the whole crowd feels the groove?!? This mechanic was my attempt to capture that feeling.

The party’s NPC leader is late returning from a concert he went to on a planet filled with empaths (people that have psi abilities to feel and project emotions). They need to get him back ASAP or they will all be in trouble. They beam down to planet to his location and find themselves on the edge of a massive electronic dance party. They see their leader dancing on the outskirts a huge group of attendees. One problem, the empaths are having such a good time, it is contagious. If an empath gets within 10 ft of a PC, they have to make a WIS save or become overwhelmed by the music, love, and joy of the celebration and can’t help but start dancing and joining in the celebration! They all rushed in to get their leader and failed their WIS saves!! HAHA! They awoke the next morning shoe-less, covered in glitter, face paintings and wearing animal costumes! When they finally made it back to their ship, they got chewed out by their Lieutenant and got a horrible away mission the following week.

Currently one group of Players are headed towards Norburg for, of all things, a patent office. They have decided to be the inventors of the light bulb in our game world and rake in those sweet, sweet gold pieces ( this is a group of middle school kids). I will be using the link I posted earlier as a backbone for when I get in a bind but I intend to revolve the encounters and quests around that idea. social interactions to find the place which may lead to ether the right place or a scam artist depending on who they decide to trust.

If they get to the office I will use it as a way to do some fetch quests for materials and parts then send them to a mage who may know how to put it all to use (for a price of course) or they can find out they can try to trade with another group I run, who they are in communication with, for “Jack’s Lantern” (casts a light that cannot be put out by normal or magical means, but is HARD to conceal) so it can be studied to aid in the light bulbs creation.

All sorts of characters and locations can be used during the fetch quests and they still will feel like they are working towards their end goal.

That sounds like a great idea! My mind is coming up with a bunch of fetch quests that will test different aspects of the players abilities! Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. Rare metal needed: You want to buy the rare metal ore from the dwarf? He doesn’t do business with weaklings. Better come ready to arm wrestle him on his anvil if you are going to have a chance to buy the metal!
  2. Silken Fillament: Only the best silk can be used for this project! Get a few meters of webbing from the blind spiders that live in the caverns beneath the city. Careful! If you aren’t quick in cutting the webbing, the restless arachnids may investigate what is disturbing their web!
  3. Glass Casing: The Mistress of Glass only works when inspired. Better practice your lute skills or spend a hefty coin to hire a skilled bard to serenade her while she creates!

oh, these are absolutely great! All on theme and give the chance for all the different skill checks to come into play. Thank you

Arise, O Necropost! :zombie:

Since this useful thread was last active, our sage friend Professor Dungeon Master at Dungeon Craft recorded an excellent and very detailed video (Episode #140) on how to run realistic city adventures that mirror Western European medieval history. Honestly, he provides commentary that supports a standard of verisimilitude that may exceed your goals and mine, but, as always, he gives us some real gems as suggestions:

• Districts/Zones—PDM recommends that, rather than mapping every single , building, street and alley in your city, it make more sense to block your urban setting out by district—zones that are relatively uniform in socioeconomic status and focused on one general urban need or activity (e.g., commerce, government, entertainment, artisans, noble residence). Relate these zones relative to one another in ways that either make logical, practical sense or promote narrative drama.
  • Mapping Points of Interest—Then, once your city layout is blocked out by district, decide which important locations—blacksmith, potion shop, armorer, mayor, library, taverns—are located in each district. PDM advances the idea that providing “stationary NPCs tied to one location” is the number one key to making his cities feel real.
  • Law Enforcement—PDM suggests you think about how local authorities is big cities are likely to receive and interface with adventuring parties, what they are likely to let adventurers get away with, and what might draw their attention. Cities are not dungeons…

Web DM also posted a pretty thoughtful video on this same subject of building fantasy cities. Jim Davis is really big on factions and how they play out across your map in urban environments. One of his significant tips for running city adventures beyond those presented by PDM is to prep a handy list of properly themed names for urban NPCs, on the idea that your party will simply be encountering and interacting with other characters more often owing to population density, understanding that the flavor that NPC names offer can really sell the themes and realism of the city you are presenting to your players,

At my own table, I find planning and running city adventures are my most challenging game nights, but with some of this advice, the last couple have been memorable and fun. I find the mapping by district is the most useful tip for me, and it provides a great framework for the GM to make the city feel large yet understandable and consistent. A minute or two jotting down the city districts you want to include and their rough relation to one another on the map can support even the most improvisational GM in weaving a very realistic and enjoyable urban environment on the fly. On my group’s last foray to the big city for a library heist, a night’s stakeout and a tense break-in led to an exciting chase through the city with the local constabulary in pursuit. Each board along the chase was designed as the developing story narrative evolved, based on the simple notes on the districts and points of interest I had jotted down before the session, which made navigating and backtracking to familiar areas feel very real for the players during the pursuit.

Other than the mere act of populating a large gaming table with enough urban terrain to “read” as a convincing and immersive city (which is time-consuming but can really wow your players and make for very tactical exploration, chase, and combat encounters), the big challenge I’ve found in bringing urban environments to the tabletop is providing good playable spaces on the board (which is crowded with terrain by dungeon or countryside standards) while maintaining unobstructed sight lines for all players seated at the table. One technique I have found useful is to bias (within the bounds of realism) the buildings toward the GM and the more open encounter areas toward the players, so that the buildings form a “backdrop” for the stage of the board, prioritizing the players’ POV over my own.

I like to make my city buildings multistory, stacked, and modular with playable interiors, separate roofs, and walls that lift off with the floor above; this offers the table a nice vertical dimension to searches and combat encounters, allows me to hide and reveal bad guys in unexpected places, maximize the number of encounter locations for a given building footprint on the battle mat, and recombine components as the PCs travel through the city to keep things looking “fresh.” It also makes it easy for me to remove levels of ancillary buildings when they might otherwise block a players line of sight.

Obviously, cities are also an adventure location where a less-is-more index card approach is a really efficient alternative; making individual cards for each important location grouped by district on the board or using stacks of cards to represent points of interest in a multistory building placed in relation to one another to form a representational “map” of your urban environment are both very valid approaches for putting an entire fantasy city in your pocket and reconstructing it on the gaming table for your group. The Runehammer “power word” approach (presented here) is a good way to define and differentiate the districts within your city and give your players some touchstones to create memorable locations with realistic depth—even if your amazing urban landscape is built from completely index card tokens.

I hope this revived discussion continues to evolve, because I think it’s an interesting and useful topic germane to most of our campaigns.

That’s a damn fine post. Urban adventures have always been an interest of mine, and I’ve collected whole piles of advice. Professor Dungeon Master’s video is indeed great. (I think he has a city generator PDF on his Patreon).

I ran a sandbox campaign that turned into a city campaign, through sheer force of my players, so here’s what helped me:

1. Sketch out rough districts, but don’t worry about planning every street. As the party travels the map, they’ll forget some places and return frequently to others. You’ll get a feel for which areas to pad out with more detail.

2. Let the party come up with stuff. I like to offload the creative process, especially when it doesn’t matter. If someone asks if there’s a novelty store with nothing but mildly enchanted horse shoes, I tell 'em, why the hell not? As long as it doesn’t break immersion (no videogame arcades!) I’ll almost always say yes. That’s the point of cities: you get more exposure to culture, specialty stores, all the weird stuff you won’t find in towns and villages.

3. Familiarize yourself and your players with laws. Main difference between a “city crawl” and a “dungeon crawl” is you can’t go around killing anything. The merchant class tends get a little nervous around vigilante justice. The guards are nicely bribed, but PCs are a wild card. Now, you don’t need to go over every rule and regulation, unless that’s the type of city you’re going for. Just basic stuff. Is self-defense allowed? Carrying weapons? Oh, and write down where the jails are and have a rough idea of what the legal system is like. Three judges? Trial by combat? Is banishment the worst punishment, or are thieves flayed alive in the streets?

4. Have fun with factions. This also applies to dungeons, but so much so for cities. Just go hog wild and include everything from street gangs to secret socieities run by nobles. At the end of every adventure, they should impress one faction and piss off another. These are your obstacles, your queast gives, the people who hire your rival adventuring parties. Factions are the lifeblood of a city. Without them it can feel like an open air dungeon filled with a lot of generic Sims.

5. Have a few random tables handy. Random urban encounters, random things to find in a dead body’s pockets, random gang members, random objects you’d find in a house, etc. You can find these all over. /r/d100, the Waterdeep: City Encounters book is great for any city, not just D&D and not just Waterdeep. Or for free, just google Random Urban Encounters.

6. If you use maps, get them ready ahead of time. There’s no telling when someone will pick a fight in a tavern, a mansion, a store, try to break someone out of jail, etc. Urban adentures tend to be sandboxes with the most stuff for players to get into, so it really helps to have a “Dark Alley” map handy the next time your Rogue announces he’s diving into the dark alley.

And that’s it off the top of my head. :smiley:

This advice is spot on. Letting the PCs’ actions, reactions, and backstory hooks drive the encounters really helps flesh out urban encounters for me.

Totally. City guards and the local constabulary are constantly hounding the PCs and casting a suspicious eye on their activities in my current campaign, even when the party is conducting their business legitimately. I like to let my players know in a very obvious fashion during roleplay with the city watch that they are just making up ordinances and taxes on the fly, because the fees and reasons behind them are different every time they visit. It’s hilarious…