ICRPG Adventuring party sheet and abilities HACK DEVLOG/COLLAB

Edit: Rough Sheet Idea v02.

Watching MCDM’s run down on their Kingdom & Warfare book has me inspired to want to create an ICRPG mod based on the idea of an Adventuring Party Sheet.

In Colville’s, there is a dice pool equal to party number that any player can take or use to activate a party power(ability), but only during a boss battle. Well that’s my understanding, I don’t even have the book.

I’m thinking the ability and dice are available once a session or day instead.

Basically I’m fishing for ideas here. For abilites and types of parties. Maybe something that’s a bit more modular? Mix and match or reskinnable with fantasy, modern and scifi.

I’m thinking it’d be cool to have each party ability also tied to loot. Maybe a comms unit or a set of magic rings. Who knows.

Keen to hear from the community!

Could you go over how it works for us?

Hey, thanks for asking. Honestly still pondering on it. A few thoughts have crept into my mind.

Basic Idea: Simple idea is that it would be a shared sheet for the party with dice on it, a pool of dice, that they can use only with an Ability written on the sheet, but on any players turn (where in narrative, the rest of the party is helping) or as a reaction.
What the dice are, how they get there and what the abilities are, is what I’m keen on exploring.

More Background:
After @s5photog explained and linked me a video of Matt Colville exploring the idea I was a little wrong about how it is presented in K&S. Thanks @s5photog! The abilities and dice pool are not just for boss battles.
Colville cited Warhammer and 4e as his inspiration, and in the comments Coriolis was mentioned as having something similar.
Also here is another link with a sheet on it. Link to MCDM sheet.
LINK to original video that got me excited about it. An explanation video released the other day on book launch.

In Colville’s design video he was playing with how the dice are added in game. Now I am wondering if that the dice are added under conditions or are ready from the start of a session.

Format: I’d like to make up a sheet (which I’ve started sketching) and a little a5 book of Abilities with a explanation of use. It’s got to be simple, modular, be able to be used in any setting and I’ll release it for free.

Some Ideas:
A few thoughts have crept into my mind last night…
Dividing potential parties into different Styles ala, Warriors, Rogues, Agents…etc and by Alignment, Company (business), Vassals, Religious…etc. and the abilities available in a kind of module approach. This way, one should be able to describe any group of PC’s.

Currently in my mind, each session or day or encounter the party has a fresh supply of these dice to use. Anyone can use them at any time and take any amount to use (whether the decision is made as a team or not?), choose an ability listed on the sheet and boost it with the amount of dice they take, from 1 to party size. After used, they cannot be used again until refreshed.

I’m thinking 4 ability/loot slots that are given out over time as the party learn to work together, maybe along with Milestones or as LOOT gifts from NPC’s. Maybe its 4 magical rings that only work together, or matching sun glasses with HUD and comms that allows the whole team to add damage to an important attack.

I am also thinking about a couple of more slots that don’t use the dice but are bonuses to checks and efforts to certain 1 ‘hour’ and ‘day’ tasks?

For the dice pools, D10’s (Magic/Energy) for sci fi/modern and D8’s(Guns) for Fantasy. As they are the least used in each respective setting.

In closing:
Let me know if I need to work harder on communicating this. This thread is more like a devlog/conversation of me trying to hack this into ICRPG, hopefully with help from you all.

EDIT: A rough I did of sheet immediately after this post:

In Colville’s design video he was playing with how the dice are added in game. Now I am wondering if that the dice are added under conditions or are ready from the start of a session.

In the video he mentions you reset your die after a longer rest (specifically in your domain) and then put it in the center after having used it? I think it’s what I heard…

So, what exactly are the criteria of things you want to build this thing? :smiley:

Cheers.
Ok. Yeah I meant ‘I wonder how we should do it?’.
For criteria, see my header ‘Format’.
But I’m open to ideas.
I’ll sit down with a bit of paper and pencil and work out more myself soon.

Here is a new version of the sheet. I’ve added possible Abilities.
The Dice Store is supposed to be a composite of a D10 and D8.

I re-reviewed MCDMs solution, for the dice to be added at initiative, and think its simpler for the dice just to be there at the start of every session. Of course GM’s can just choose their own method. So perhaps a few suggestions could be included.
A way to replenish in the session could be cool.

I require more ideas for Abilities. Please suggest some.
The way I see it, some effect just the PC using the Ability, some effect some or the whole party, some effect one foe and some effect a number or all foes.

Also a format style for the text. What do people think of ‘+ DICE ROLLED’ and ‘+#DICE GRABBED’ ?

Here are some MARTIAL (changed from WARRIOR) ones so far:
WAR BANNER: All Members Gain +#DICE Grabbed To ATTEMPTS n’ checks this round.
WAR CRY: DICE grabbed rolled foes paralysed for 1D6 ROUNDS.
TEAM H.U.D.: +#DICE Grabbed To ATTEMPT and EFFORT increased by DICE rolled value on an ATTACK ACTION.
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS: +#DICE grabbed to your STR, for the DICE rolled value number of ROUNDS.

Some others:
MYSTIC:
RINGS of POWER: Increase the size of effect of a SPELL NEARx#DICE Grabbed, EFFORT x DICE rolled value.
ROGUE:
KEEN EYES: Reduce TARGET by #DICE grabbed on one type of foe. Add the roll of any of the DICE grabbed to any DAMAGE EFFORT dealt to that foe type.

Also I’ve added RP as role playing ability. Maybe this is too restrictive? Keen to hear thoughts. Cheers wall!

Thought: Add D4s to the pool. As they also aren’t the most common EFFORT die. Would add more interesting decisions to the use of Party Abilities. It also doubles the amount of dice available so more Abilities, or instances of, may be used in a session.
I think it’s also easy to use the die while its part of the pool for the odd roll as the dice aren’t rolled when they are added to the pool in this current version as opposed to K&W.

Add D4s to the pool? Why not make a space for a party timer, perhaps? Could be cool: the party can use this loot once every D4 rounds or something similar? That would be using ICRPG’s mechanic well!

A cool down could be cool. ha.

I could see this work in conjunction with Scottys Lucky dice.

each time a player fails a throw, he receives a d6 luck dice in a pool, those luck dice get to be spent freely for improving any roll.

In my game instead of each player having a luck dice pool, I have one big bowl for all players, so they can share the dice.

Your sheet as the pool, with those ability modules as an extension could be interesting to explore

Cool! We will have to include this in the mods/options page.
Thanks for sharing this.