5eHC Question about the Roll to Cast

I’m very enjoying your product! I very much appreciate the “game style” behind it and I want to implement it in my post-apocalyptic game.

Here my two questions about the Roll to Cast

1. If there are not spell slots, what the nat 20 does in term of spell uses?
  2. I’m struggling to figure out to limit healing spells out of the fighting, if there are no spell slots the players can just full their hit points after each encounter. What am I missing?

Thank for any help!

I’m looking on page 11 of the 5eHC book and this is what I found. Hopefully, it helps:

1. If there are not spell slots, what the nat 20 does?

2. I’m struggling to figure out to limit healing spells out of the fighting, if there are no spell slots the players can just full their hit points after each encounter. What am I missing?

After that, you start getting into the pacing and other aspects of moving from encounter to encounters, but there are others who are much more qualified than me to answer those kinds of questions. I can just take a good screenshot :smile:

Thanks for that :grin:

What I am not getting from both points is what the Frequency limits are. Probably if I solve that, both doubts will be solved together. :laughing:

Maybe page 12 has the answer?

Yeah, thanks for this again, but not sure it solved my doubts.
On p11, in both the two parts you quoted, spell’s use limits and frequency limits are mentioned, but I don’t find other mentions of those limits.
If there are no spell slots, does it just mean that there is no spell’s limits at all?
Here is where I get lost.

Example:
Wendy the wizard has memorized healing once. She can now cast it once. Next day, she can memorize it anew - allowing her to cast it again - or choose another spell.

Otto instead memorized healing twice. He can consequently cast it two times during the same day.

Etc.

Thanks, this clarify a lot!