4 rounds of combat

In another thread I mentioned My “4 rounds of combat note”

@Dragonlair asked me to elaborate…

Short version is, at about 4 rounds, or 15 combat rolls, I start loosing interest in RPG combat. It been coming for a while. I am out of the game world/story and observing the game.

If I’m playing a hero…my actions are limited, if I’m playing a team player my actions are limited, if playing a D20 type game, most rolls lack real impact, it’s just a chipping away one way or another.

My interest truly is in that moment of 2 opposing forces willing to commit violence on each other but hoping it doesn’t get there.

Into the Odd or more appropriately Electric Bastionland

Hits that combat note for me.
Character creation is
D100
3 D6
3d6
3d6
1d6
1d6
Each placing you at an interesting table of possibilities.

However it is the action rolls that has me enamored. There are none, the mechanics assume the characters are competent so you just roll effort.

HP (hit protection) ranges from 1~18…possible 22 at the very top of the food chain for characters. But 1~6 for a starting character.
Str is reduced after a hit or many hits have depleted your HP.
Every time your Str goes down, make a save, or you are out of the fight and take a scar.
That save is a D20 below your current Str score.

Being that your average Str score is 11.5 and your average starting HP is 3.
With average effort being D6…2 rounds of getting hit or shot at, is about all you can take.

The mechanics incentivize pressing the advantage when you have it…being creative when you don’t.
Team work because on your own, you are weak and easy pickings.

However this does not lend to high fantasy/superheroes. It does lend well to moderns, cyberpunk, low fantasy.

Electric Bastionland as a setting is a fabulous quirky setting that can get a table of experienced adult role players not seeing clearly due to laughter.

At the moment it is very much the right note for me.
Quick and decisive combat, quick character creation, it does not take itself very seriously.

The Into the Odd community has made many conversations for it, and you can play or have the start of most settings. But their forums are not as cool or as rewarding as this one.

The Odd Hack: Into the Odd/Maze Rats Mashup

Thanks for this write up. I’m always curious about new systems. I’ll check it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

agreed into the odd/electric bastionland is an interesting system

This mechanic is what I would use in my ICRPG games… how to add it in or when to use it… players only or DM too… hmmmm… gotta think on that… Good stuff … I love the ‘take a scar’ consequence…

Game On!

@Paxx that is a very intriguing system. This is very similar to how I approach ICRG. We were six months in to our campaign (roughly 72 hours of play) before I awarded the players their second heart. That was only because the opponents were starting to one shot some of them. Combat for us has rarely gone beyond 4 full rounds.

Thanks you for elaborating and expanding, especially for introducing the new system to the community.